MPA Application Instructions
Special MPA admission process for Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 for people unable to take GRE
Provisional admission may be granted to students with strong records as evidenced by a strong undergraduate GPA and analytic training in their coursework. To have one's provisional status changed to a regular status, the student would need to either take the GRE (when it becomes available) or perform at a high level (earn a 3.5 GPA or higher) from the first 12 hours of coursework. Prerequisite coursework must be taken during a student's first year and prior to the course for which it is needed. Students must also take 2 core courses within their first 12 hours of coursework: PA510 and PA512 or PA515.
(including all required supporting documents)
- February 1 for full consideration for graduate assistantships
- March 1 for international applicants
- May 15 for domestic applicants
- July 15 for international applicants
- November 1 for domestic applicants
Applicants should submit the following items through the online application system at NC State Graduate School Online Application to apply to the Masters of Public Administration program:
- The Graduate School application and application fee
- A personal statement (one-page summary of career goals and the ways the MPA will help achieve them)
- A resume
- Three letters of reference (at least one academic reference is suggested but not required)
- One copy of transcripts from all previous undergraduate and graduate college work
- Valid Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (applicants should have the Educational Testing Service submit an official report of their GRE scores-general test only-to the Graduate School.
- International applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English at a level necessary to be successful in a graduate program at NC State. This requirement can be met by
- Taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of (a) 600 for the paper-based test or (b) 250 for the computer-based test or (c) 100 for the internet-based test; or
- Taking the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.5 on the listening, reading, and writing sections and a 7.0 on the speaking section; or
- Taking the Duolingo test with a minimum total score of 100; or
- Being a citizen of a country where English is an official language and the language of instruction in higher education; or
- Having successfully completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a regionally accredited four-year U.S. college or university.
Note: The TOEFL or IELTS test date must be no more than two years old (24 months) prior to the beginning of the requested entry term.
MPA Admissions Process for In-Service Students: No GRE Scores
- Prospective in-service students with 5+ years of public service experience (including at least a year of managerial or supervisory work) and a 3.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA (including an intermediate course in statistics or quantitative methods) may qualify for a GRE score waiver. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that the in-service GRE score waiver is limited to the MPA program. All Ph.D. applicants must submit GRE scores.